History and description
The first flag of South Dakota was developed in 1909 by librarian Ida Ending. The flag had a blue background. On its front side was a Golden sun two-fifths of the width of the flag. Above the sun was applied semicircular inscription, “South Dakota”. Under the sun semicircular inscription, “Sunny state” (The Sunshine State, the unofficial nickname of the state) was placed. The state seal was applied on the reverse side of the flag.
The complexity of the manufacture of the bilateral flag affected its high cost. In this regard, in 1963, a member of the House of Representatives of the state William Sarom introduced the new design proposal which was later approved by the state Governor.
The new flag has an azure background. In the central part of the flag is the state seal with a diameter of 4/9 of the width of the flag. The print image is made on a white or azure background in dark blue color. The seal is surrounded by a stylized scalloped image of the sun, made in gold color, the maximum length of which is 5/9 of the width of the flag. Above and below the seal are the semicircular gold inscriptions, “South Dakota” and “The Sunshine State”, respectively. The height of the letters of the inscriptions is 1/18 width of the flag. Flags for indoor use must be bordered by a gold fringe 1/18 wide from the flag.
The new version of the flag if compared to the previous one is much cheaper in production. The act on the adoption of the new flag was signed on February 3, 1966. In 1992, the lower inscription on the flag was replaced by the inscription, “State of Mount Rushmore».
Total area:199,730 km2
Formation:2. 11. 1889